Thursday, May 25, 2006

Running - Fighting the pain and boredom!

I am a runner. OK let me rephrase that. I attempt to run. Not because I enjoy it, nope, mainly because I feel that if exercise isn't pushing you to the edge of exhaustion, it probably isn't doing you much good. I know some of you will disagree with that.... and I know some people can run all day.... can run marathon's (although god knows why you do John) but for me it is a hard pastime!

There is the physical side of course, the gasping for air, the legs feeling like sacks of spuds! However one of the hardest things, is the boredom!! Clearly running outside is more interesting than the treadmill in a gym.... unless they have TV screens showing images of Jessica Alba doing Yoga in some scantily clad outfit! But unless you have some entertainment gadget strapped to your arm, the boredom is mind numbing!

So I was delighted to read the following report.... http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/5010832.stm

I admire both Nike and Apple for their marketing, some of it is pure genius! And there will be an element of marketing in this new venture of course. But I like the fact that two companies are actually thinking about their customers, and what they need, and at least trying to address some of their desires. Is that their sole motivation? Of course not. It's all about shifting more units!! Selling more runners and iPods is obviously the goal. But, personally, I don't care. Good luck to them I say! And until 24Hour Fitness get that TV screen showing Jessica Alba doing Yoga in some scantily clad outfit, then I might have to purchase these products, if only to fight the boredom and keep me in the constant agony that is running.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home