Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Language Lessons 4 - The North of England

English..... American..... is it the same language? Thankfully No!

Dont worry, this blog will not degenerate into a scathing attack of the 'American' language. Far from it actually!

I am delighted that the Americans have taken the English language for their own and adapted it to suit their own needs (albeit they still need help with spelling!). But without this development, and some would say refinement, we would have missed out on some of the more descriptive terms in today's society!

In the past I have extolled the wonderous American terms such as Fupa and Gunt( http://marinadazza.blogspot.com/2005/11/language-lessons-2.html ). I don't know where I would be today if I couldn't use such words. Thanks Rose and Jay!

Now it is those Northerners in England who are moulding the English language to comic effect! Thanks to LW, for sending this on. This is a real document developed for the National Health Service (NHS) in Doncaster. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Doncaster, it is a small town in the North of England, and can be best described by clicking here.
(Please understand I am not criticising the North of England. I am myself from the North of England and proud of it. But also proud not to be from Doncaster!)

Anyway, the document itself was prepared for non-local health workers from around the world that may have the (unfortunate) task of working in the town. Think of the document as a urban dictionary for the North of England, to enable those non-local health workers to understand what the F**K their patients are talking about. It contains choice translations such as the following:-

LOCAL TERM: I'm Champion!
TRANSLATED TERM: I am feeling great thank you!

LOCAL TERM: Squits
TRANSLATED TERM: Diarrhoea

LOCAL TERM: Barnsley's at home
TRANSLATED TERM: Menstruating


I could go on forever, but the document is best viewed in it's entirety! You will notice that there seem to be an inordinate amount of phrases for male and female genitalia. I do not know the reason for this, but it would seem to indicate a fascination with those body parts! Please enjoy the document, study it and next time you see me in the street, I hope to hear you are 'Champion'! (PS. If you have 'fishdocks', please do not tell me!)

Enjoy - http://www.box.net/public/static/15yovcqmpf.pdf

(STRANGE FACT - When I ran the spell check on this article, Doncaster came out as spelt incorrectly, and it offered the following suggested replacement: Densest! No shit! :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home